Thursday, October 4, 2007

My First Post

I have two intentions for this blog. The first is to express gratitude at least once daily for something in my life. "Good" or "bad" are labels that won't apply in this context. Deepak Chopra, in the audio version of "The Book of Secrets", points out that polarity of experience is in our mind and in how we choose to label the stuff that comes along. Either it is good for us directly, or it brings us to or sets us up for what's good for us indirectly. Recognizing and being grateful for whatever comes along accelerates the process. So if you find my list of "gratitudes" a bit unusual, please consider them in this context.


The second intention for this blog is to pass along useful knowledge to anyone who reads it, such that the return value to me directly or indirectly reaches a predetermined goal I have in mind. Many people I've studied over the years have one ratio or another that is considered a benchmark for this exchange. The Bible mentions a 30-fold, 60-fold or 100-fold return for what is contributed, while modern-day philosophers consider it the other direction: Provide a "use-value" 10, 20 or 100 times greater than the monetary value you ask for. I believe the former falls under tithing, gifting or donation; the latter appears to be when you're attracting money through normal trade. Maybe that's the single difference between the two, if you're asking for a specific value compared to if you're contributing something of a specific value. I hope to understand that better someday; your comments here would be greatly appreciated.



So, what am I grateful for today? Second chances. I've been having an unusually difficult time posting this first message. I've put two or three different ones out here, only to either edit them or delete them and start again. The edits from my most recent attempt were actually lost altogether due to some computer glitch...no matter, I didn't like very much what I typed anyway. So now I feel I've finally got my mind wrapped around what to say, and I'm ready to start the party. I'm grateful for the second chance at making a first impression. :-)

Enjoy the day! Namaste

No comments: