Saturday, October 6, 2007

No Small Wonder

Of the many subjects I'm fascinated with, the one that has occupied a good deal of my time lately is the Sedona Method. Briefly, the Sedona Method is a way to release emotional and mental baggage trapped in your subconscious mind through past conditioning, habits, outdated beliefs, etc. It's a way of "letting go" of the feelings and wants that actually hold you back from having what you desire in the here and now. Skipping the whole backstory on how I was introduced to the Method, suffice to say that it fell under the same pattern that a variety of good-for-me activities pass through my life: I picked up on it in a moment of strife and struggle, found success in its application, then summarily put it on the shelf and went back to the same old habits when the crisis was over. At the time, I had yet to recognize that the very habits I resumed were the ones that got me to that previous crisis to begin with...I didn't pick up on that until the latest crisis emerged.

I've felt myself under a lot of pressure since the beginning of the year: Financial pressure mostly, with the occasional work and family issues peppered into the mix to keep it interesting. I read through the Sedona Method book once again and ordered and listened to the course CDs. I must say that the second time around it finally clicked for me. I have been since able to get through a fair amount of mental and emotional junk that I've been carrying around for decades and, yes, came to the realization that the latest crisis manifested from the same bad or outmoded habits that brought it about the last time.


As well, stuff from my early childhood had far more impact on me than I realized. For one thing, I had been carrying around this belief that if I gain sympathy from others, then I can get the approval and security to have what I want or need in life. This worked well in childhood, and being somewhat of a sickly kid when I was little, it almost seemed automatic. Too automatic, as it appears, as that belief born of jealousy and quiet despiration in my youth, once it was firmly imbedded in my subconscious, was doing a fine job of screwing up my adult life. Parts of my adolescence and adult life have followed this course, and other times in my life are the other side of the coin: I sometimes am drawn to the types of situations that require I ride in as the knight in shining armor, giving sympathy and aid with a passion to those in distress. You can imagine that these adventures at best wind up with me becoming bored once the original issue is resolved, or frustrated with the situation if it cannot be resolved. At worst, these situations can also become completely out of control and spiral downward in a big and nasty way.

I remember the "Peter Principle" which, in part, states that an employee will rise to the level of their incompetence. (The corollary I came up with in my youth was "Some people have a shorter distance than others"...a bit judgmental of me as I look at it with the wisdom of experience and age, but funny coming from a guy struggling to get attention.) I have a strong hope for me that the Sedona Method is the remedy for my individual experiences of the "Peter Principle". Pulling out the mental stops is certainly a good start, since those things tend to define my level of incompetence. Now I release several times daily, sometimes just because a feeling came up in my conscious awareness, other times when I'm pointedly working through an issue and a new feeling appears.

What I'm grateful for today is the set of circumstances that led me to this point in my life, not a very pleasant one I assure you. (More in another post...this one's too long already.) The whole sympathy notion is a startling revelation to me, to be sure, and one I likely would have never discovered if events and circumstances were different, as I had always saw myself on the other side of that arrangement. I've since seen other layers of emotion and misguided beliefs come forward...that's good, because now they can be let go as well. Had I known four years ago what I know now, I know I wouldn't be where I'm at today. I know that now, so four years into the future has a strong chance of being different than where I'm at today.

Enjoy the day! Namaste

No comments: